Prof. Kavan Ratnatunga
Young Members’ Section,
The Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka
The International Year of Astronomy (IYA2009) is a celebration of the 400th anniversary of Galileo Galilee observing the moons of Jupiter in 1609. 2009 is also the 200th birth anniversary of Charles Darwin who published his Origin of the Species in 1859. Both have led to our current scientific understanding of the evolution of the universe and life within it.
The presentation will also address the role of Astronomy in Modern Society, including the understanding of the dangers of global warming and Near Earth Objects.
Time: 5:30 p.m.
Venue: IESL Auditorium, 120, Wijerama Mawatha, Colombo 7.
All Are Welcome!
Selected Publications of Lecturer
ApJ = Astrophysical Journal
AJ = Astronomical Journal
Ratnatunga, K. U. Griffiths, R. E. & Ostrander, E. J. 1999, “Disk and Bulge Morphology of WFPC2 galaxies: The HST Medium Deep Survey database” A. J. 118 86-107.
Ratnatunga, K. U. Griffiths, R. E. & Ostrander, E. J. 1999, “The Top Ten List of Gravitational Lens Candidates from the HST Medium Deep Survey” A. J. 117 2010-2023 .
Ratnatunga, K. U., Upgren, A. R. 1997, “Kinematics of Common Dwarf Stars: A Maximum Likelihood Analysis.” Ap. J. 476: 811-828.
Ratnatunga, K. U., Ostrander, E. J., Griffiths, R. E., & Im, M. 1995, “New ‘Einstein Cross’ Gravitational Lens Candidates in Hubble Space Telescope WFPC2 Survey Images.” Ap. J. 453 L5-L8.
Ratnatunga, K. U., Griffiths, R. E., Casertano, S., Neuschaefer, L. W., & Wyckoff, E. W. 1994, “Calibration of HST wide field camera for quantitative analysis of faint galaxy images.” A. J. 108 2362-2382.
Ratnatunga, K. U., & Yoss, K. M. 1991, “Metalicity and Velocity distribution of Giants towards the Galactic Poles.” Ap. J. 377 442-461.
Ratnatunga, K. U., & Casertano, S. 1991, “Absolute magnitude calibration using Trigonometric Parallax: Incomplete, Spectroscopic samples.” A. J. 101 1075-1088.
Ratnatunga, K. U. 1990, “Comparison of GSC photometry in three Southern Fields.” A. J. 100 280-289
Ratnatunga, K. U., & van den Bergh S. 1989, “The rate of Stellar Collapses in the Galaxy.” Ap. J. 343 713-717.
Ratnatunga, K. U., & Freeman, K. C. 1989, “Field K giants in the Galactic Halo II.” Ap. J. 339 126-148. 1989ApJ…339..126R
Ratnatunga, K. U., Bahcall, J. N., & Casertano, S. 1989, “Kinematic Modeling of the Galaxy I. The Yale Bright Star Catalog.” Ap. J. 339 106-125.
Ratnatunga, K. U. 1988, “Distance independent Study of Moving Groups.” A. J. 95 1132-1148.
You Should Also Check Out This Post:
- Largest Sri Lankan IYA 2009 Project Star Party 2009 Concluded a Massive Success : My Experience (Featured with Live Straming )
- Star Party 2009
- Biggest IYA 2009 event of Sri Lanka coming up: Star Party 2009
- STAR PARTY 2009 : Rules and Regulations
- Star Party 2009 on the way on 25th Sept 2009
More Active Posts:
- Recalling the IYA 2009 Featured Scientist Eratosthenes (6)
- "Star Quest 09" Won by Mahinda College, Galle | IYA 2009 (5)
- IYA 2009 Featured Scientist of the Day - Eratosthenes of Cyrene (4)
- University of Texas at San Antanio (UTSA) Celebrates IYA 2009 (2)
- IYA 2009 makes oldest telescopes to flock together in Adler Planetarium (2)
- "100 Hours of Astronomy" Celebrated by Goddard Space Flight Center (2)
- "Star Quest 09" Annual Astronomy Quiz 1st stage held | IYA 2009 (2)
- IYA 2009 Astronomy Sri Lanka now has Google PageRank 4 (2)
- Ancient Chinese Star Map: Please Decode (2)
- IYA 2009 Featured Scientist of the Day - Aristarchus of Samos (2)